Dr Azhar Iqbal is our visiting Plastic Surgeon from U.K. His special interests include hand surgery, breast reconstruction and facial palsy. he is a Consultant at Whiston Hospital Liverpool where he is actively engaged in wide variety of activities including Clinical, Management and Academic. He is trainer for Oncoplastic Breast fellow, Hand fellow, Assigned appraiser for fellow colleagues and consultants, Clinical lead for facial palsy and ear reconstruction and offer hand surgery and breast surgery. He is heavily involved in teaching and training and deanery affairs to smooth line the training. he is on the national selection panel for ST3 selection and examiner for Medical students. He is a Program director for Plastic Surgery at Mersey Deanery and responsible for their teaching and training for which he has introduced several interesting ways including regular training workshops with simulation models. He has done MSc in Health information Sciences (Awarded Jan 2002 with distinction).He is current SAC(Surgical Advisory Committee Member)- It is a National body overseeing standards of Plastic surgical training and for award of CCT (Since Oct-)2015. He has presented on local hospital grand rounds and also have given various lectures to GPs and Public on open days including breast reconstruction, various reconstructive and aesthetic procedures. He is also chair of STEC meetings, interview panel for National selection for ST3 and various local interviews, MRCS Examiner RCS London, and examiner for medical students at Liverpool university.
He has presented his personal series of cases in national and international meetings with innovative and novel techniques to improve the outcome or decrease donor morbidity.
He has done onco-plastic breast fellowship with a unique advantage to work with General and Plastic surgeons side by side as a part of a multidisciplinary set-up. As a consultant he has done all forms of reconstruction including Expander-Implant based reconstruction, Standard, Extended and Muscle sparing Latissimus borsi with implants, Muscle sparing ipsilateral and contralateral Pedicled Trams, Free DIEP flaps and Autologus fat transfer.
This is Dr Azhar one of the main field providing challenges of different types of treatments in trauma and elective conditions like Dupuytren,s disease, Rheumatoid hand surgery and tendon transfers.
Dr Azhar provides the full spectrum of surgical options for this group of patients specially taking care of eye problems and oral sphincter and both static and dynamic procedures for facial reanimation.
he has used autologus rib cartilage for ear reconstruction and have experience in reconstruction of partial defects post human bite injuries in Liverpool.
Dr Azhar Iqbal is faculty member for following courses:
- Core skill courses in Plastic Surgery
- Mersey Upper limb dissection course
- Mersey Flap course
- Introduction to Plastic Surgery By Royal college of England
- Microsurgery for nurses
- Plastic surgery Workshop for Basic surgical trainees
- Regional onco-plastic breast surgical meetings
- Supervisor for hand diploma fellow
- Supervisor for Orthopaedic interphase hand fellow
- Various in-house courses and workshops for different Hand surgical modules such as Tendon day, Fracture fixation day, micro-surgical training day
- Trainer for Onco-plastic Breast fellow
- BAAPS sponsored Aesthetic surgery training days 2014 and 2015
MEMBERSHIP OF LEARNED SOCIETIES
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
- BAPRAS (British Association of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery)
- BAAPS ( British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons)
- BSSH ( British Society for surgery for Hand)
- BSRS (British Society for Rhinoplasty Surgeons)
- NWSSH (North West Society for Surgery for Hand)
- MDU (Medical defence union)